Mixed feelings after Brora's comeback and draw with Fraserburgh

Main menu


Mixed feelings after Brora's comeback and draw with Fraserburgh

featured image

Both managers had mixed feelings after Brora Rangers drew 2-0 with 10-man Fraserberg at Bellesley.

After trailing in the interval, Cattachs’ late comeback gave them points to move up to second place in the Breedon Highland League.

Manager Craig Campbell said:

“We were very disappointed with how we played in the first half, we lost 2-0 despite two good shots.

“I was frustrated at half-time, so I told the players I didn’t have much to do, but I felt it was necessary.

“We got a response because of the players they showed great character.

“I’m happy with this character and I think I had a good chance of winning, so I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t win.

“If you look at the big picture, you’re down two points, but with it down 2-0 at halftime, I would have let go of your hand to score one.”

Kawi Says You Can’t Discount Champions

Broch sent off Sean Butcher in the 62nd minute.

Boss Mark Cowie added:

“Even in the first half, at 2-0, we haven’t achieved the heights we could achieve.

“It’s nice to finish the game with 10 men and one point, but it’s disappointing and mixed feelings that we didn’t win 2-0.

“This is the second warning[for Butcher’s ejection]and I’m not going to defend it. Late, he caught a player, so it’s a booking and he’s off.” .

Fraserburgh’s Sean Butcher (right) is sent off by referee Duncan Nicholson against Brora Rangers

“I don’t think we were consistent enough, but I’m not going to complain about refereeing.”

Champion Fraserberg is five points behind leader Brechin, who has played more games.

However, Cowie said:

“If you can come in early March, I’ll tell you who will win the league.

“If you want to discount us, go now.

“Brola won’t be too far away either. We are both in a good position. Brechin has had a great start but there are still many big games to come.”

pulsating encounter

Fraserburgh made a spectacular breakthrough in the 19th minute. Conor Wood overpowered Tom Kelly at the left angle of the box, curling his right-footed shot into his top right corner.

Brora responded well and came close to tying twice within seconds in the 27th minute.

First Max Ewan pulled away from Ryan Sargent on the right and his low cutback was hit by Tony Dingwall. Tony Dingwall’s shot strayed off Andrew McRae to the right post and Bloch cleared the corner.

From Dale Gillespie’s delivery, Jordan MacRae’s header was volleyed off the line by Greg Buchan.

In the second minute of stoppage time in the first half, the hosts doubled their lead.

Scott Barber was knocked down by Miller Gamble and took a free kick from 25 yards out of goalkeeper Ruardoli Nicole.


In the 55th minute, Brora cut the deficit with an excellent team goal.

Andrew McRae laid the ball off to Martin McLean on the edge of the area before McLean found Kerry on the right and a full-back low cross Ewan finished at the back post.

Things got worse for Fraserburgh when Butcher was sent off.

The forward, who had previously been cautioned for relentless fouling, was challenged to a gamble when referee Duncan Nicholson showed him a second yellow card.

Kelly then shot just wide and Joe Barber prevented another attempt.

However, Fraserburgh’s resistance was broken in the 80th minute.

Brora goalkeeper Ruardoli Nicole (right) delivers a ball-clearing punch under pressure from Fraserburgh captain Willie West (center)

Sub Gregor MacDonald’s cross hit Kelly on the right and sent the ball back into the danger zone, but Andrew Macrae headed home and slammed Joe Barbour into the ball.

After that, Cattachs seemed to have the momentum to go for the win. They approached the final minute of normal time when Andrew McRae wriggled free in the area, but Joe Barber blocked his shot from 14 yards.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Paul Campbell could have won it when he fell behind on a Paul Young pass, but the striker’s left-footed shot went flying.

Already a subscriber?login

[Mixed emotions after Brora comeback to draw with Fraserburgh]